Connect with us

Latest Political Updates

EU: Unemployment rate rises to 6.6% in April

Published

on

Manila, June 4 — Unemployment in the EU was 6.6% in April, the bloc’s statistical office announced Wednesday.

April figure was up from 6.4% in the previous month, while it fell from 6.8% in the same month last year, Eurostat said.

Meanwhile, the unemployment rate stood at 7.3% in the euro area, up from 7.1% in March.

The eurozone/euro area or EA19 represents member states that use the single currency — euro — while the EU27 includes all member countries of the bloc.

The Eurostat underlined that the Covid-19 containment measures applied since March have triggered a sharp increase in the number of claims for unemployment benefits across the EU.

“Compared with March 2020, the number of persons unemployed increased by 397,000 in the EU and by 211,000 in the euro area,” it added.

Nearly 14.1 million men and women in the EU27, of whom 11.9 million in the eurozone, were jobless as of April.

“The unemployment rate for women was 6.8% in the EU and for men was 6.4% in April 2020,” it said.

Eurostat also said there were some 2.78 million unemployed young people — under 25 — in the EU27 in January, making for a 15.4% youth unemployment rate.

Czechia, Poland, and the Netherlands posted the lowest unemployment rates with 2.1%, 2.9%, and 3.4%, respectively in the month.

The highest rates were seen in Spain with 14.8% and Latvia with 9% in April.For any query with respect to this article or any other content requirement, please contact Editor at contentservices@htlive.com
Copyright 2012. Philippines News Agency

Advertisement

Latest Political Updates

Iloilo town traces 200 contacts of Covid-positive councilor

Published

on

Manila, June 3 — The Contact Tracing Task Force of Igbaras town, Iloilo has identified and located all the 200 contacts of the 55-year-old male municipal councilor who tested positive for coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) on Monday.

Of these contacts, 50 were already swabbed on Tuesday and the other 50 were swabbed Wednesday, Igbaras Mayor Jaime Esmeralda, told the Philippine News Agency in an interview.

Another batch of 100 contacts will also undergo Covid-19 swab testing on Thursday, he said.

“I confirm that our positive case is an SB (Sanggunian Bayan) member and almost all our local government unit personnel are identified as high-risk contacts,” said Esmeralda, who is also a medical doctor.

The Covid-19 positive councilor has also undergone re-swabbing on Tuesday as the mayor wants to confirm his test result.

Esmeralda said the councilor stayed in Igbaras for two and a half months but went once to Iloilo City last May 1.

He is considering the possibility that the councilor might have caught the infection from an asymptomatic carrier in Igbaras.

“I have a little doubt (in the positive result). If we say it’s a false positive, it is a very little chance. We will see the result again in his re-test to confirm,” he said.

The reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) test of the councilor, along with other LGU personnel and contacts, will be processed at the Western Visayas Medical Center sub-national laboratory.

Due to the town’s Covid-19 case, transactions in the local government has been paralyzed since Tuesday.

Esmeralda said “almost all” of the LGU personnel, including him, will have to observe quarantine and would be monitored for signs and symptoms.

“All the transactions in the municipal hall are suspended because almost all our personnel are under monitoring. We will resume work after a week or until such time that we can assure safety and the absence of local transmission,” he said.

The municipal hall is also being subjected to disinfection, he said.For any query with respect to this article or any other content requirement, please contact Editor at contentservices@htlive.com
Copyright 2012. Philippines News Agency

Continue Reading

Latest Political Updates

Resort owners told to observe safety standards

Published

on

Manila, June 3 — Resort owners and other tourism stakeholders in Antique on Wednesday were reminded to strictly observe health and safety standards as the industry reopens in the province.

“Safe physical distancing, continuous sanitation, and disinfecting should be observed by owners of the tourism facilities in the province,” Antique Provincial Tourism Office (APTO) head, Juan Carlos Perlas, said in an interview.

To ensure safe physical distancing, they are also instructed to only accommodate 50 percent of their guest capacity, he said.

“We would have to start from the bottom with new rules, but we are optimistic for Antique has always been different from usual places, laid back and without the large crowd,” he said.

He said protocols amid the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) crisis really affected the tourism industry in the province.

Based on the data provided by the APTO, some 210 tourism facilities temporarily closed since the implementation of the enhanced community quarantine in Antique last March 16.

But Perlas is optimistic the beautiful beaches and other tourist spots of Antique will bounce back as these are not yet that crowded, which could be one of the preferences of visitors.

Meanwhile, Flord Nickson Calawag, who owns the Calawag Mountain Resort in Barangay Tono, Tibiao, in a separate interview, said that they were forced to let go half of their staff because of the lockdown.

“We used to have 50 staff but we had to downsize our workforce due to Covid-19,” Calawag said.

He said their resort reopened only last June 1 when the province entered the modified general community quarantine following the issuance of Executive Order 65 of Governor Rhodora Cadiao.

“With the reopening of the resort, we are practicing safe physical distancing even no physical contact with our guests,” he said.

He said that guests are required to wash their hands upon arrival and those who are coughing or with fever will not be allowed inside the resort.

Calawag added that they adhere to Memorandum Circular Number 2020-002 of the Department of Tourism (DOT) that details health and safety guidelines on the operations of accommodation establishments under the new normal.

The reopening of the Calawag Mountain Resort’s fish spa, rubber tubing, and other adventure activities have started luring tourists.

“We hope our domestic tourists would be more encouraged to visit and promote the local destinations,” he said.

Since Antique is now part of the One Panay Community Quarantine starting June 1, residents of Panay Island would be enticed to visit the Calawag Mountain Resort and other destinations in the province, Calawag added.For any query with respect to this article or any other content requirement, please contact Editor at contentservices@htlive.com
Copyright 2012. Philippines News Agency

Continue Reading

Latest Political Updates

SAP beneficiaries in Pangasinan to get second tranche

Published

on

MALASIQUI, June 3 — Only the household beneficiaries in Pangasinan will receive the second tranche of the social amelioration program (SAP) among the provinces in the entire Ilocos Region, the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) confirmed on Wednesday.

In a forum, DSWD regional director Marcelo Nicomedes Castillo said based on the guidelines, only Pangasinan qualified for the second tranche since the province was among those areas that remained under enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) until May 15, while the other provinces of La Union, Ilocos Norte, and Ilocos Sur were removed from ECQ and placed under general community quarantine since May 1.

Castillo, however, clarified that the total 433,429 household beneficiaries in the province might be lessened depending on the result of the extensive validation the DSWD is currently conducting.

“If upon validation, the beneficiaries will be proven not qualified, then they will be removed from the list who will receive the second tranche,” he said.

Each qualified household beneficiary in Pangasinan will again receive PHP5,500.

The schedule of the release of the second tranche is still to be announced.

In the entire Ilocos Region, a total of 777,375 SAP household beneficiaries received the first tranche of the emergency cash subsidy amounting to a total of PHP4.275 billion, but only 110 local government units (LGUs) have fully completed distribution.

“The other 15 LGUs have not fully completed distribution because the allocation for them exceeded the number of qualified beneficiaries in their area,” Castillo said.

He added that LGUs are now in the liquidation process of the SAP funds.

“We thank the LGUs including the barangay officials, the staff, among others because amidst the hardships they were able to finish the distribution,” he said.

Meanwhile, some 57,841 households will also receive emergency cash subsidies as additional SAP beneficiaries, or formerly called the ‘waitlisted’.

“These are qualified beneficiaries who were not included in the list of SAP beneficiaries. The lists of names were submitted by their respective LGUs, but these are still for validation,” Castillo said.

He said the LGUs have submitted a total of 59,963 names, more than the allocated number of additional beneficiaries in the region, hence the validation will filter and possibly reduce the number.

LGUs in Ilocos Norte submitted 1,693 additional beneficiaries, Ilocos Sur with 5,031, La Union with 3,663, and Pangasinan with 49,576.

Castillo said they are still waiting for the criteria and specific guidelines for the release of the subsidy to the additional beneficiaries.For any query with respect to this article or any other content requirement, please contact Editor at contentservices@htlive.com
Copyright 2012. Philippines News Agency

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

FEATURED

Boycott-Chinese-Products Boycott-Chinese-Products
Featured9 hours ago

TikTok – Chinese Social Media App To Leave Hong Kong Over New Security Laws

TikTok app is owned by China-based ByteDance has made the decision to quit Hong Kong following China's new national security...

india-china-border-conflict india-china-border-conflict
Featured12 hours ago

India-China Peace Talks – Read The ‘Official Statements’ Of Indian & Chinese Govt On Disengagement

India-China Peace talks: In the first sign of de-escalation, the Chinese PLA troops have removed tents and started to withdraw...

MBBS-IN-China MBBS-IN-China
Americas14 hours ago

Hong Kong Today, Taiwan Tomorrow – Hong Kong’s Security Law Could Be China’s Blueprint For ‘Taiwan Problem’

Hong Kong’s security law has laid down the new ‘normal’ for the city. Free speech is now limited, extradition to...

China-and-India China-and-India
Americas15 hours ago

Despite Chest Thumping, India Could Take Years To Reduce Economic Dependence On China – US Experts

Bilateral trade between India and China was estimated at $88 billion in the 2018-19 fiscal year, but India recorded a...

India-Russia India-Russia
Featured21 hours ago

Russia Pressurized China To Release Indian Soldiers, End Border Conflict With India

"Russia played a low-key, but useful role in reducing India-China tensions after the June 15 episode. The capture of the...

india-china-border-conflict india-china-border-conflict
Featured1 day ago

NSA Ajit Doval Behind Chinese Army Withdrawal & Diffusing India-China Border Tensions

Ajit Doval, India’s fifth National Security Advisor, is popular amongst Indians and is often referred to as the Indian James...

dalai-lama dalai-lama
Asia Pacific2 days ago

On Dalai Lama’s 85th Birthday, Is It Time For India To Reset ‘One China’ Policy?

As the Tibetan leader Dalai Lama celebrates his 85th birthday, there is a debate amongst experts whether India should reset...

eurasian-times eurasian-times
Featured2 days ago

India-China Border Update: Chinese PLA Troops Moves Back Few Km In Galwan Valley – Reports

India-China Border News: Twenty Indian soldiers were killed violent face-off in Galwan valley on June 15-16 after an attempt by...

Pakistan-Economy Pakistan-Economy
Featured2 days ago

8 Lakh Indians Could Be Expelled From Kuwait; A Direct Loss Of $5B To Indian Economy

Gulf News reported that 'this could result in 800,000 Indians leaving Kuwait, as the Indian community comprises the biggest expat...

CHINA-FLAG CHINA-FLAG
Asia Pacific2 days ago

China Claims Territories In Bhutan, Raises Another Border Conflict With ‘Saviour’ India

China-Bhutan Border Conflict - China made these claims over Bhutan while opposing a request to develop the Sakteng wildlife sanctuary...

Advertisement

Trending