Connect with us

Featured

India-China conflict: India takes a step further to block Chinese products

Published

on

The Indian government has tweaked the rules to promote the Make in India and Aatmanirbhar Bharat (Self-reliant India) campaign, which is going to add to China’s woes. According to the new rules, all foreign sellers registering their products to be sold in India will have to mention the “country of origin” in the Government e-Marketplace (GeM) — a state-run online portal — the government said. 

“Sellers, who had already uploaded their products before the introduction of this new feature on GeM, are being reminded regularly to update the Country of Origin, with a warning that their products shall be removed from GeM if they fail to update the same,” the government said. 

“With this new feature, now, the Country of Origin as well as the local content percentage are visible in the marketplace for all items,” the government said. “More importantly, the ‘Make in India’ filter has now been enabled on the portal. Buyers can choose to buy only those products that meet the minimum 50% local content criteria,” the statement added.

“The government should extend the rules to all platforms so that consumers get a choice not to buy Chinese products,” said Ashwani Mahajan, co-convenor of Swadeshi Jagran Manch.

After the last week’s deadly clash between the troops of India and China at the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in the Galwan valley which left casualties on both the sides, multiple people and organisations have called for a complete boycott of Chinese products. Sonam Wangchuk, an Indian engineer, innovator and education reformist who became popular after the release of the movie 3 Idiots, where Aamir Khan’s character was inspired by him. Wangchuk urged citizens to give up all Chinese products. “Give up all Chinese software in a week, all Chinese hardware in a year,” Wangchuk said in the recent video.

Trade bodies have also called for a boycott of Chinese products. “To achieve this goal, CAIT has prepared a comprehensive list of about 3000 products imported from China for which Indian substitutes and alternatives are easily available and customers of India will also not mind because all those things are already made in India,” said the Confederation of All India Traders (CAIT) secretary-general, Praveen Khandelwal and National President, B.C. Bhartia.

China has rubbished the impact of such a boycott on its economy in any way. China’s state-run Global Times (GT) said that Indians can hardly resist buying Chinese quality goods and that such calls for a boycott are nothing more than hollow threats. “India will suffer more losses if it launches a trade war against China,” it said. However, it is noted that India’s trade deficit with China during the last financial year, is at a 5 year low. It has narrowed down to $48.7 billion during the last year as compared with $53.6 billion a year ago. The fall in imports with China has made the US as India’s largest trading partner with a trade of $88.8 billion as compared to $82 billion with China.

With the rising anti-China sentiment, the government has directed the state-run Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd. (BSNL), a telecommunication company, to not use Chinese equipment in its 4G up-gradation in view of security issues.

Advertisement

Featured

US Troops Withdraw From Five Bases in Afghanistan As Part Of Peace Deal With Taliban – Officials

The US has withdrawn from five military bases in Afghanistan. Afghan media outlet Tolo reported the five U.S. bases that closed are located in Helmand, Uruzgan, Paktika and Laghman provinces, in southern and eastern Afghanistan. 

Published

on

The US has closed five military bases in Afghanistan as part of an agreement with the Taliban, a Pentagon official said Tuesday. The official, who wanted to remain anonymous, confirmed the bases were in Helmand, Uruzgan, Paktika and Laghman provinces.

According to the deal, the US had 135 days to fulfil its pledge to reduce troops to 8,600 from nearly 14,000 in the conflict-hit country, which ended Monday.

The agreement was signed Feb. 29 and is aimed at reducing violence in hopes of fostering bilateral talks between the Afghan government and the extremist group to end the war-torn nation’s 18-year conflict.

The Taliban agreed not to allow al-Qaeda, Daesh or any other militant group to operate in areas they control, as part of the pact.

“The U.S. has worked hard to carry out the 1st phase of its commitments under the Agreement, including to reduce forces & depart five bases. NATO troops have come down in proportional numbers,” Khalilzad said on Twitter.

Afghan media outlet Tolo News reported the five U.S. bases that closed are located in Helmand, Uruzgan, Paktika and Laghman provinces, in southern and eastern Afghanistan. The larger U.S. bases in Bagram, located outside Kabul, and Kandahar Air Field in southern Afghanistan remain open.

Despite the reduction in U.S. soldiers as part of the pact, violence between the Taliban and Afghan forces has spiked in recent months, according to the Afghan government.

Earlier, as EurAsian Times reported, US President Donald Trump has reiterated his resolve to “bring our soldiers back home” from Afghanistan, publicly questioning the purpose of the U.S. military presence in the war-torn region of Afghanistan.

Donald Trump reemphasised his objective amid reports that the ongoing U.S. troop withdrawal from Afghanistan “is well ahead of schedule” outlined in a historical pact signed between the US and Taliban to end the nearly 19-year-old war.

“We are acting as a police force, not the fighting force that we are, in Afghanistan,” Trump tweeted Wednesday. After 19 years, it was time for Afghan authorities to police their own country, he wrote.

Under the U.S.-Taliban pact, Washington had promised to reduce its military strength in Afghanistan from about 13,000 to 8,600 by mid-July before withdrawing all soldiers, along with several thousand partners in a NATO-led non-combatant mission by mid-2021.

Continue Reading

Featured

Pakistan Affirms Full Support To Turkey On The Eve Of Defeated Coup In Ankara

Pakistan, he added, “stands by Turkey and has been taking all possible steps to support Turkey’s efforts to address the threat posed by Fethullah Gulen Terrorist Organization (FETO),” the group behind the defeated coup.

Published

on

Pakistani PM Imran Khan has reaffirmed his country’s support and solidarity for Turkey on the eve of the July 15, 2016, defeated coup. Pakistan and Turkey share a historical bond and both nations are viewed as ‘iron brothers’. 

“Four years ago the Turkish people displayed their characteristic resilience and legendary bravery to defy the forces of darkness targeting Turkey’s peace and stability as well as its democratic institutions,” Imran Khan said in his message for Democracy and National Unity Day, a public holiday in Turkey.

“The saga of human courage and determination witnessed on July 15, 2016 was indeed an inspiration for millions across the globe and will be remembered in the annals of history.”

Drawing parallels with Khilafat Movement, Khan said the spirit of Turks on that day was similar to what “motivated our forefathers not to hesitate from making any sacrifice for their Turkish brethren a century ago.”

In 1918, South Asian Muslims struggled to save the Ottoman Empire from falling.

“We join the people of Turkey in honouring the martyrs and supporting their families,” the Pakistani premier said.

Pakistan, he added, “stands by Turkey and has been taking all possible steps to support Turkey’s efforts to address the threat posed by Fethullah Gulen Terrorist Organization (FETO),” the group behind the defeated coup.

The speakers of lower and upper houses of parliament also expressed solidarity in separate statements.

“We always have, and will continue to stand by Turkey in the face of all challenges,” said Senate chairman Sadiq Sanjrani.

Pakistanis stood by Turkey on the night of July 15, 2016, and will continue to do so, said National Assembly speaker Asad Qaiser.

Continue Reading

Featured

With China In Mind, India To ‘Urgently’ Acquire Heron Drones, Spike ATGM From Israel

Published

on

India plans to acquire for Heron drones and Spike anti-tank guided missiles (ATGM) from Israel under the emergency financial powers granted by the government according to reports the ANI.

The Heron unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) are already in the Air Force, Navy, and the Army and are being used extensively at the moment by both Army surveillance and Target acquisition batteries and Air Force in the Ladakh sector.

“There is a need for acquisition of Heron UAVs to add to the existing fleet of these drones for meeting the requirements of our Air Force fleet. We are planning to place orders for these UAVs,” government sources told ANI here without specifying the numbers to be procured.

The forces are also working towards inducting an armed version of the UAV, as well as upgrading the existing fleet into combat UAVs under the ambitious ‘Project Cheetah’ spearheaded by the Indian Air Force.

On the other hand, the Indian Army is planning to acquire additional Spike ATGM (anti-tank guided missiles) which were received by it last year from Israel under the emergency financial powers granted to the services.

Last time, the Indian Army had procured 12 launchers and 200 Spike missiles. “We are planning to acquire more of these anti-tank missiles for tackling any threat from the enemy armoured regiments,” the sources said.

Spike is fire-and-forget anti-tank guided missile and anti-personnel missile with a tandem-charge HEAT warhead and is designed by the Israeli company Rafael Advanced Defense Systems.

Earlier as EurAsian Times reported, the Indian Army was given the green light to purchase the Israeli ATGMs after the February 2019 military conflict between India and Pakistan following Balakot airstrikes.  The decision to procure the 240 ATGMs and 12 launchers were reportedly made during the five-day biannual Army Commanders’ Conference in New Delhi, according to IHS Jane’s Defense Weekly.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

FEATURED

eurasian times eurasian times
Featured9 hours ago

US Troops Withdraw From Five Bases in Afghanistan As Part Of Peace Deal With Taliban – Officials

The US has withdrawn from five military bases in Afghanistan. Afghan media outlet Tolo reported the five U.S. bases that...

Pakistan-Turkey-Relations Pakistan-Turkey-Relations
Featured9 hours ago

Pakistan Affirms Full Support To Turkey On The Eve Of Defeated Coup In Ankara

Pakistan, he added, “stands by Turkey and has been taking all possible steps to support Turkey’s efforts to address the...

atgm-india atgm-india
Featured12 hours ago

With China In Mind, India To ‘Urgently’ Acquire Heron Drones, Spike ATGM From Israel

India plans to acquire for Heron drones and Spike anti-tank guided missiles (ATGM) from Israel under the emergency financial powers...

Turkey-EU Relations Turkey-EU Relations
Featured12 hours ago

EU’s Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with Vietnam Leaves India Fuming

EU’s Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with Vietnam has come as a big blow to India. India has started trade talks...

china-detention-camps china-detention-camps
Featured18 hours ago

Galwan Valley Clash: Has China denied burial permission to family of dead PLA soldiers?

The US intelligence report, as per Indian media, claims that China is not accepting that its soldiers have been killed...

nasa-comet-india nasa-comet-india
Americas21 hours ago

Comet Neowise in India: Rare Neowise Comet will be visible in North-West India from Today – NASA

NASA Comet Neowise India: NASA’s Neowise infrared space telescope discovered the comet on 27 March. Scientists involved in the mission...

India-Iran-Ties India-Iran-Ties
Featured22 hours ago

Iran-India Chabahar Port Deal: Iran Kicks-Out India from Chabahar Rail Project citing funding delays

Iran-India Chabahar Port Deal: The railway project was meant to be part of India’s vow to the trilateral deal between...

Mike-Pompeo Mike-Pompeo
Americas23 hours ago

US-China ties to worsen as Trump set to block all Chinese claims in South China Sea

Ties between US and China could dramatically worsen over the South China Sea after Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said...

Amarnath-Yatra Amarnath-Yatra
Featured1 day ago

Indian top court declines to restrict ‘Amarnath Yatra’ Hindu pilgrimage in Kashmir

Amid the surge in COVID-19 cases, the Indian Supreme court has declined to restrict Amarnath Yatra – the Hindu pilgrimage...

Hasan-Rouhani- Iran Hasan-Rouhani- Iran
Americas2 days ago

US exasperated over Iran-China $400 billion pact

China's 400 dollar deal is a breather for Iran's economy which is hard hit by Trump "maximum pressure" campaign against...

Advertisement

Trending