Manan Bashir Wani – a scholar-turned- militant, was shot dead during an encounter between terrorists and Indian security forces in Handwara in Jammu and Kashmir’s Kupwara district. Manan Wani, 27, was a PhD scholar at Aligarh Muslim University before he decided to join terror outfit Hizbul Mujahideen.
- NSG Commandos Deployed in Kashmir To Counter “Battle Hardened” Militants
- Why are Kashmiri Militants Targeting Muslim Security Forces in J&K?
- Shariat ya Shahadat – Fearless Kashmiri Militants Ready to Challenge India
People’s Democratic leader and former J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti called Wani’s death a loss. She urged all political parties to facilitate a solution to end the bloodshed through dialogue with all the stakeholders
Today a PhD scholar chose death over life & was killed in an encounter. His death is entirely our loss as we are losing young educated boys everyday. It is high time that all the political parties in the country realise the gravity of this situation and try to facilitate a solution through dialogue with all the stakeholders including Pakistan to end this bloodshed.
Alas! heard the tragic news of #MananWani’s Martyrdom and of his associates! Deeply pained that we lost a budding intellectual and writer like him, fighting for the cause of self-determination.JRL appeals to people to observe a complete #Shutdown tomorrow to pay homage to him
Another Hizbul Mujahideen militant, yet to be identified, was killed by the security forces. The encounter broke out in the early hours of Thursday in Handwara following a specific intelligence about the presence of Manan Wani, along with two others, officials said.
The exchange of fire continued till 11 am with a lull at around 9 am when the police initiated search operations at the encounter site. Police was making repeated announcements on public address system appealing to the militants to surrender. There was a lull in firing at around 9 AM, prompting the police to initiate search operation at the encounter site, but the same had to be suspended after firing resumed after 15 minutes, the officials said.
More News at EurAsian Times
- Is PM Modi Planning to Divide J&K into 3 Parts Before 2019 Elections?
- India Using Israel’s “Palestine Strategy” To Crush Rebellion in Kashmir?
- Saudi Money, US Weapons, Israeli Intelligence Fuelling Arab NATO – Iran
- Indian Army Knows The Exact Location of 12 Terror Launch Pads in Pakistan; But Can They Strike?