The Chabahar Port which aims to connect India with Afghanistan and is being jointly developed by India and Iran has not been put under economic sanctions by the US. The Chabahar Port is vital to connect India with Afghanistan, and boosting the Afghan economy was cited as the main reason for the port getting exempted from US sanctions.
- Chabahar Port Hot on Agenda, as India, Iran, Afghanistan Meet in Kabul
- China and India Battle for Global Influence with OBOR and NSTC Projects
“After extensive consideration, the secretary has provided for an exception from the imposition of certain sanctions under the Iran Freedom and Counter-Proliferation Act of 2012 (IFCA) with respect to the development of Chabahar Port and the construction of an associated railway and for the shipment of non-sanctionable goods through the port for Afghanistan’s use, as well as Afghanistan’s continued imports of Iranian petroleum products,” a State Department spokesperson said.
Indian officials had said in their talks with the US officials that they would highlight the importance of Chabahar to economically stabilize Afghanistan. “The president’s South Asia strategy underlines our continuing support of Afghanistan’s economic growth and development as well as our close partnership with India,” the State Department spokesperson added. “We endeavour to build on our close relationships with both countries as we execute a policy of maximum pressure to change the Iranian regime’s destabilizing policies in the region and beyond.”
US President Donald Trump announced Monday the re-imposition of sanctions ever against Iran’s oil exports, shipping and banking. The bans had been lifted under the 2015 nuclear deal, officially known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA). According to Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, the world stands against the US administration and no country except for some nations would abide by Washington.
More News at EurAsian Times
- Is PM Modi Planning to Divide J&K into 3 Parts Before 2019 Elections?
- India Using Israel’s “Palestine Strategy” To Crush Rebellion in Kashmir?
- Saudi Money, US Weapons, Israeli Intelligence Fuelling Arab NATO – Iran
- Indian Army Knows The Exact Location of 12 Terror Launch Pads in Pakistan; But Can They Strike?