Connect with us

Asia Pacific

Russia and Japan Set to Boost Tourism

Published

on

Russia and Japan plan to bring the reciprocal tourist flow amongst themselves to 250,000 by 2019. As the head of the Federal Agency for Tourism Oleg Safonov said that both the parties will sign the corresponding document during the annual international tourism exhibition (JATA) in Tokyo, which starts on Thursday.

“We will sign a memorandum on the week of food tourism in Japan and weeks of wine tourism in Russia.” The development of gastronomic tourism is one of the most interesting directions in the industry, “he said, adding that a protocol on amending the program of joint actions.

“We are talking about the fact that we will work to increase the tourist flow between the two countries, defining as a benchmark the achievement in 2018 of a level of 220 thousand, and in 2019 – 250 thousand citizens moving between the two countries,” – he explained.

According to Safonov, the parties “significantly increase these key indicators, because earlier in the program of actions there was a much lower threshold,” and the dynamics of the growth of the tourist flow is very high. “I led the dynamics for this year: the number of tourists who came from Russia to Japan grew by 40%, and from Japan to Russia – by 18%,” – added the head of Rosturizm.

According to Safonov, one of the reasons for the sharp increase in tourist flows between the countries was a mutual simplification of visa procedures. He also believes that for the remaining quarter before the end of the year these indicators may still change. “We are talking about the period at the beginning of September, before the end of the year we have another whole quarter, the final indicators may be slightly different, but even these figures are a very good indicator,” he concluded.

In recent years, according to various estimates, Japan was visited by about 70 thousand Russians, about the same number of Japanese people came to Russia. Since the beginning of 2017, both the parties have gone on mutual simplification of the visa regime.

Advertisement

Asia Pacific

India-China Economic Romance Cannot End With A Mere Border Clash – Chinese Experts

Published

on

India and China have been at each other’s throat for more than a month now. Aside from the military confrontation in Ladakh, India has also moved to disengage from China economically.

While the move has got the support from the majority of Indians, Cui Hui’ao of the China Global Television Network (CGTN) writes that disengaging from China might not be a choice for India and that economic de-coupling is driven politically by Narendra Modi.

As reported by Eurasian Times consistently during last month, the feud between India and China has been a rollercoaster ride. From military buildup, deadly clashes to de-escalation and eventual withdrawal, the clash of the two Asiatic giants has seen it all.

Cui writes that apart from the military confrontation, India has retaliated in the economic sphere, referring to the decision by the Indian government to ban 59 Chinese application including TikTok, WeChat and ShareIt and the call to boycott Chinese products.

The journalist at CGTN writes that decoupling from China may be easier said than done for India. He says that India is not a manufacturing powerhouse, so in terms of bilateral trade, it actually buys much more from China than the other way around.

Cui analyses trade data to support the fact that New Delhi will find it difficult to reduce its dependence on Chinese imports. Between April 2019 and March 2020, India imported over 65 billion U.S. dollars’ worth of goods from China.

Cui is of the opinion that the coronavirus pandemic has hit the Indian economy hard and in fact, the disengagement is driven by politics rather than economics. He finds it difficult to accept that India’s disengagement from China would take place at a time when the Indian economy is projected to contract by 4.5% according to the International Monetary Fund (IMF).

Economic Disengagement Driven Politically 

Speaking to Cui, Cheng Xizhong, a visiting professor from Southwest University of Political Science and Law, says that the decision to de-couple from China economically is because of the domestic pressure on Prime Minister (PM) Narendra Modi.

‘’Since his second term began yet Indian economy is a mess. He has to find a way to shift the public attention elsewhere,” he said.

The author agrees with the point made by Cheng Xizhong and writes that pressure on the Indian PM Modi comes from multiple fronts, including his own supporters, businesses, and farmers union. But this time, the nationalistic voice is even louder.

Other experts interviewed by Chui agree that New Delhi would benefit more if it partnered with Beijing. Professor Cheng, a former Chinese military diplomat in South Asia, said that since India started its opening-up in the 1990s, its economic growth has been crippled by lack of high-quality infrastructure and it would wiser if India and China work together.

Similar views are shared by Indian economist Biswajit Dhar, who says that India’s decision to start producing domestically has to be strategic and it cannot take the decision to produce everything.”

While India and China disengage at the battlefront in Ladakh, the Indian government is looking for solutions to reduce its dependency on Chinese imports. PM Modi has encouraged all Indians to become self-reliant (Aatmanirbhar) by producing and purchasing indigenous goods and boost the Indian economy.

Continue Reading

Americas

US-China ties to worsen as Trump set to block all Chinese claims in South China Sea

Ties between US and China could dramatically worsen over the South China Sea after Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Washington now regards virtually all Chinese maritime claims outside its internationally recognised waters to be illegitimate. 

Published

on

Ties between the US and China are set to further deteriorate over the South China Sea as the Trump administration is set to outrightly reject almost all of Chinese maritime claims in the contentious waterbody.

US exasperated over Iran-China $400 billion pact

The Trump government presented the decision as an endeavour to restrain China’s increasing belligerence in the region with a commitment to recognising international law. This move in the South China Sea will further enrage the Chinese, who are already countering against various US sanctions and other penalties.

Previously, US policy had been to insist that maritime spats between China and its smaller neighbours be settled peacefully through UN-backed arbitration.

But in a statement released on Monday, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Washington now regards virtually all Chinese maritime claims outside its internationally recognised waters to be illegitimate.

“The world will not allow Beijing to treat the South China Sea as its maritime empire,” Pompeo said. “America stands with our Southeast Asian allies and partners in protecting their sovereign rights to offshore resources, consistent with their rights and obligations under international law. We stand with the international community in defence of freedom of the seas and respect for sovereignty and reject any push to impose ‘might makes right’ in the South China Sea or the wider region.”

Image

Although the US will continue to remain impartial in territorial conflicts, the announcement means Washington is now directly supporting Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, all of which oppose Chinese declarations of sovereignty over maritime areas surrounding disputed islands, reefs and shoals.

“There are clear cases where [China] is claiming sovereignty over areas that no country can lawfully claim,” the State Department said in a fact sheet that accompanied the statement.

The announcement was released a day after the fourth anniversary of a binding decision by an arbitration panel in favour of the Philippines that discarded Chinese maritime claims around the Spratly Islands and neighbouring reefs and shoals.

China has declined to recognise that ruling, rejected it as a “sham” and withdrew from the arbitration proceedings. It has continued to oppose the decision with aggressive actions that have brought it into territorial disputes with Vietnam, the Philippines and Malaysia in recent years.

However, as a result, the administration said China has no valid maritime claims to the fish- and potentially energy-rich Scarborough Reef, Mischief Reef or Second Thomas Shoal. The US has repeatedly said areas regarded to be part of the Philippines are covered by a US-Philippines mutual defence treaty in the event of an attack on them.

In addition to reemphasising support for that decision, Pompeo said China cannot legitimately claim the James Shoal near Malaysia, waters surrounding the Vanguard Bank off Vietnam, the Luconia Shoals near Brunei and Natuna Besar off Indonesia. As such, Washington said it would regard any Chinese intimidation of fishing vessels or oil exploration in those areas as unlawful.

Continue Reading

Asia Pacific

US-China tensions: China slaps counter sanctions on US officials over Uighur rights

Earlier, US sanctioned member of Chinese Communist Party, 3 other officials over human rights abuses of Uighurs in Xinjiang

Published

on

Tensions between the US and China continue to rise after China, in a tit-for-tat move, announced sanctions on US lawmakers and an envoy over the issue of Uighur rights in Xinjiang.

China’s Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Hua Chunying said Beijing sanctioned officials at US’ China Commission; Sam Brownback, Ambassador for International Religious Freedom, Florida Senator Marco Rubio, Texas Senator Ted Cruz and New Jersey Congressman Chris Smith, daily Global Times reported.

China said on Friday it would take reciprocal measures against the US for sanctioning a senior member of the Chinese Communist Party and three other officials over human rights abuses in China’s Xinjiang region, home to Uighur Muslims.

“China has decided to take reciprocal measures against relevant US institutions and individuals that have behaved badly over Xinjiang,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian had said.

The US’ China Commission is a congressional-executive commission that was created to monitor human rights and rule of law in China which submits an annual report to the US president and the Congress.

The US Treasury Department on Thursday sanctioned Chen Quanguo, Communist Party Secretary of the Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region.

Chen was appointed to the region in 2016, according to the US statement, with a “notorious history of intensifying security operations” in the Tibetan autonomous region to tighten control over the Tibetan ethnic minorities.

The senior government official is also known as the “architect” of mass detention camps in Xinjiang. The sanctions designations are under the Global Magnitsky Act passed by the US Congress in 2016.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

FEATURED

nasa-comet-india nasa-comet-india
Americas3 hours ago

Comet Neowise in India: Rare Neowise Comet will be visible in North-West India from Today – NASA

NASA Comet Neowise India: NASA’s Neowise infrared space telescope discovered the comet on 27 March. Scientists involved in the mission...

India-Iran-Ties India-Iran-Ties
Featured5 hours ago

Iran-India Chabahar Port Deal: Iran Kicks-Out India from Chabahar Rail Project citing funding delays

Iran-India Chabahar Port Deal: The railway project was meant to be part of India’s vow to the trilateral deal between...

Mike-Pompeo Mike-Pompeo
Americas5 hours ago

US-China ties to worsen as Trump set to block all Chinese claims in South China Sea

Ties between US and China could dramatically worsen over the South China Sea after Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said...

Amarnath-Yatra Amarnath-Yatra
Featured18 hours ago

Indian top court declines to restrict ‘Amarnath Yatra’ Hindu pilgrimage in Kashmir

Amid the surge in COVID-19 cases, the Indian Supreme court has declined to restrict Amarnath Yatra – the Hindu pilgrimage...

Hasan-Rouhani- Iran Hasan-Rouhani- Iran
Americas20 hours ago

US exasperated over Iran-China $400 billion pact

China's 400 dollar deal is a breather for Iran's economy which is hard hit by Trump "maximum pressure" campaign against...

google-ceo-Pichai google-ceo-Pichai
Featured21 hours ago

Google CEO Sundar Pichai announces $10 B investment in India

CEO of Google - Sundar Pichai was speaking at the sixth edition of Google for India conducted in collaboration with...

Bubonic Plague Bubonic Plague
Featured21 hours ago

COVID-19 : 50,000 South Africans could die of Coronavirus in 2020

South Africa’s president has advised the public to follow COVID-19 measures seriously as scientists predict the virus could kill up...

TURKEY TURKEY
Featured21 hours ago

Turkey stands with Azerbaijan “with all it has” against clash with Armenia

Turkish foreign minister on Monday strongly denounced the deadly attack by Armenian armed forces on Azerbaijani troops. How Pakistan-Backed Azerbaijan...

S400vsRAFALE S400vsRAFALE
Featured22 hours ago

S-400 vs Rafale: Turkey to deploy Russian S-400 Missile to counter French Rafale Jets

India would be keeping a close eye as French-built Rafale jets could take on Russian-designed S-400 air defence systems in...

Arab-League Arab-League
Featured23 hours ago

Arab World hails Turkish decision to reconvert Hagia Sophia into a Mosque

The Turkish decision to reconvert Istanbul’s iconic Hagia Sophia into a mosque after serving decades as a museum has won...

Advertisement

Trending