Sunday, April 11, 2021

North Korea: South Korean General Sacked Over Defector’s Return

A South Korean marine major-general was relieved of his command after the military failed to prevent a man’s illegal defection back to the North, officials said.

The man’s departure only came to light when Pyongyang — which insists it has not had any coronavirus cases — announced at the weekend that a “runaway” who had returned across the heavily fortified Demilitarized Zone was suspected of having the disease.

Defections from the South to the North are extremely rare, and doubly so across the DMZ, which divides the peninsula and is one of the world’s most secure borders.

But the South Korean military later confirmed a 24-year-old man surnamed Kim had gone North by crawling through a drainage channel on Ganghwa island, northwest of Seoul, and then swimming across the Han river.

On Friday, the joint chiefs of staff (JCS) said that Kim was detected on his journey seven times by surveillance cameras or thermal observation devices, but the military did not intervene.

A guard at a post about 200 metres from the water conduit spotted “lights” when Kim arrived in a taxi at 2:18 am, but took no action, they added.

Marine corps general Baek Kyung-soon had been removed from his position for the security failure, Seoul’s defence ministry official told AFP.

The JCS said it took Kim about 12 minutes to crawl through the drain, and around an hour to swim across the Han to his destination. Kim originally defected to the South in 2017, also by swimming across the river. He was being investigated on rape allegations in the South before his return.

Rights groups say defectors face severe punishment if they return to the North.

The South’s health authorities said his name did not appear in the database of confirmed coronavirus cases, nor lists of their contacts. But analysts say the North is seizing on his arrival to point the finger at Seoul over the coronavirus, after months of denying it had any cases.

Inter-Korean relations have been in a deep freeze following the collapse of a summit in Hanoi between Kim and US President Donald Trump early last year over what the nuclear-armed North would be willing to give up in exchange for a loosening of sanctions.

Friday’s announcement comes days after the South’s defence minister Jeong Kyeong-doo apologised over Kim’s departure, saying: “I have no excuse even if I’m told off a hundred times over this.”

Featured News

How Is India Countering The Growing Fleet Of French & Chinese Origin Submarines With The Pakistan Navy?

India is set to approve the indigenous construction of three nuclear-powered attack submarines to counter the Chinese PLA’s rapid expansion in the Indian Ocean. This...

Watch: Did Boko Haram ‘Shoot-Down’ Dassault Fighter Jet Of The Nigerian Air Force?

Nigerian Air Force has rubbished claims that terror group Boko Haram shot down its Alpha fighter jet. Nigerian authorities had earlier stated that an...

India Strengthens Maritime Security Ties With Seychelles; Modi Gifts Rs 1Bn Patrol Vessel

India gifted a Fast Patrol Vessel (FSV) worth Rs 1 billion to Seychelles during a virtual summit between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Seychelles...

Waste Of Money – Why Rafale Jet ‘Bribe’ Paid By Dassault Aviation To An Indian Middleman Was A Bad Deal?

A French media report claiming that Rafale fighter jet-maker Dassault Aviation having paid one million euros to an Indian middleman as a ‘gift’ during...

Not F-15EX Fighter Jets, The US Will Now Be Pitching ‘Eagle-II’ To The Indian Air Force

The US Air Force’s latest fighter jet, the F-15EX, which is being pitched to the Indian and other air forces, has now been officially...