Connect with us

Featured

Air India Flight: Now Direct Air India Flight to Israel over Saudi Arabia?

Published

on

Direct Air India Flight is all set to operate between Tel Aviv and Delhi over Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia has reportedly denied all reports of granting airspace access any Air India Flight travelling to Israel. Sources from the Israeli aviation industry had reportedly conveyed the news of Saudi’s nod to Air India in a statement given to Israeli daily Haaretz. However, Saudi’s GACA later went on to refute all reports calling them untrue.

Is Saudi Arabia Befriending Israel, Appeasing India, for Delhi-Tel Aviv Direct Air India Flight?

Was Air India Was Denied Permission Last Year by Saudi Arabia?

Currently, there is only one airline that operates direct flights between India and Israel. El Al covers a journey of 8 hours from Mumbai to Tel Aviv via the Red Sea. If the reports are true, then Air India would be getting a grant of 750,000 euros from the Tourism Ministry to cover the new route from New Delhi to Tel Aviv. The calculations come down to around 250,000 euros per weekly flight. Last year Air India had approached the Israeli Airport Authority seeking permission to fly to and from Israel. However, the airline insisted on flying a shorter route and thus the Israeli authorities denied permission.

Read Related News at EurAsian Times: Israel Palestine Conflict Augments after US’s Jerusalem Move

The communications for the route resumed this year following the Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu’s visit to India in January. The relations between India, Israel and Saudi Arabia can be now seen warming up through the confirmation of the New Delhi-Tel Aviv route over Saudi airspace. The Saudi airspace has however been closed to a lot of nations flying to Israel for the last seventy years. In recent times, only two flights are known to have been allowed to cross the Saudi airspace from Saudi to Israel – one with US President George W Bush and another with current President Donald Trump.

Other Middle East News at EurAsian Times: Cinema Halls to Re-Open in Saudi Arabia after 35 Years

The direct Air India flight from Delhi to Tel Aviv crossing the Saudi airspace could be a sign of PM Narendra Modi’s increasing influence over the region besides warming Israel-Saudi relations. After visiting Israel last month, Indian PM Modi is now expected to visit Jordan and Ramallah next week.

Advertisement

Americas

Comet Neowise in India: Rare Neowise Comet will be visible in North-West India from Today – NASA

NASA Comet Neowise India: NASA’s Neowise infrared space telescope discovered the comet on 27 March. Scientists involved in the mission said the comet is about five kilometres across and its nucleus is covered with sooty material dating back to the origin of our solar system 4.6 billion years ago.

Published

on

The Comet Neowise, or C/20202 F3  will be noticeable in the northwest sky in India from 14 July onwards. As per NASA, Neowise should be visible just before and around the time of first light till 11 July. It will again start to be visible in the evening between 15 and 16 July.

“From July 14, C/2020 F3, a comet discovered on March 27, will be clearly visible in the north-western sky. It will be visible after sunset for around 20 minutes for the next 20 days. People can observe it from naked eyes,” said Subhendu Pattnaik, deputy director of Pathani Samanta Planetarium in Bhubaneswar told ANI.

“In the evenings to follow, the comet will rapidly climb higher in the sky and will be visible for a longer period,” he added.

Comet Neowise swept within Mercury’s orbit a week ago. Its close vicinity to the sun caused dust and gas to burn off its surface and create an even bigger debris tail. According to CNET, Neowise passed a critical point when it survived its closest brush with the sun without cracking up from the heat last week.

NASA’s Neowise infrared space telescope discovered the comet on 27 March. Scientists involved in the mission said the comet is about five kilometres across and its nucleus is covered with sooty material dating back to the origin of our solar system 4.6 billion years ago.

Soon after, numerous amateur photographers began sharing stunning images of the comet just above the horizon during predawn hours. Twitter user Jeremy Perez shared the image shot from close to the Wupatki National Monument showcasing the bright celestial body.

According to the CNET report, as the comet moves farther away from the sun and closer to Earth, it will be visible in the evening sky and not before dawn. As per NASA solar system ambassador Eddie Irizarry, Neowise should be visible just before and around the time of first light till 11 July. It will again start to be visible in the evening between 15 and 16 July.

While it’s visible with the naked eye in dark skies with little or no light pollution, binoculars are needed to see the long tail, according to NASA. It will be about 7,000 years before the comet returns, “so I wouldn’t suggest waiting for the next pass,” said the telescope’s deputy principal investigator Joe Masiero of NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California.

Recently, astronauts from the International Space Station managed to get a stunning glimpse of a natural light show from a comet this weekend. NASA astronaut Bob Behnken shared a tweet highlighting Neowise. He captioned the post, “Last night’s fireworks, for real. Because Science.”

Continue Reading

Featured

Iran-India Chabahar Port Deal: Iran Kicks-Out India from Chabahar Rail Project citing funding delays

Iran-India Chabahar Port Deal: The railway project was meant to be part of India’s vow to the trilateral deal between India, Iran and Afghanistan to develop an alternate trade route to Afghanistan and Central Asia bypassing a hostile Pakistan.

Published

on

The Iran-India Chabahar port deal had run out fuel. Iran has reportedly expelled India from the Chabahar rail project according to a report by The Hindu.

According to the report – four years after India and Iran signed a deal to construct a rail line from Chabahar port to Zahedan, Tehran has decided to proceed with the project by itself citing delays from New Delhi.

US exasperated over Iran-China $400 billion pact

The report writes – The Iranian Transport and Urban Development Minister — Mohammad Eslami inaugurated the track-laying process for Chabahar-Zahedan line, which will be extended to Zaranj in Afghanistan. Iranian officials told The Hindu that the complete project would be finished by March 2022 and that Iranian Railways will proceed without India’s support, using nearly $400 million from the Iranian National Development Fund.

The railway project was meant to be part of India’s vow to the trilateral deal between India, Iran and Afghanistan to develop an alternate trade route to Afghanistan and Central Asia bypassing a hostile Pakistan.

Chabahar Port No Longer A Top Priority For Modi-Government As India, Iran Drift Apart: OpEd

In May 2016, during PM Modi’s visit to Iran to sign the Chabahar pact President Rouhani and Afghan President Ashraf Ghani, IRCON had signed an MoU with the Iranian Rail Ministry. The MoU was to construct the Chabahar-Zahedan railway as “part of transit and transportation corridor in a trilateral agreement between India, Iran and Afghanistan”.

However, according to the Hindu, despite several site visits by IRCON engineers, India never commenced the work, apparently due to worries that these could attract U.S. sanctions. The U.S. had provided a sanctions waiver for the Chabahar port and the rail line to Zahedan, but it has been difficult to find equipment suppliers and partners due to worries they could be targeted by the U.S., said officials. India has already “zeroed out” its oil imports from Iran due to U.S. sanctions.

 

US-China ties to worsen as Trump set to block all Chinese claims in South China Sea

Iran wanted India to accelerate the acquisition of heavy equipment and expedite work on a railway link to the Afghan border to boost the economic viability of the Chabahar port, according to experts.  As per earlier reports, – there was a written assurance from the US that will make it easier for banks to provide funds for the procurement of heavy equipment” said an expert.

In late 2018, the US had approved a waiver for Chabahar and the construction of a railway line from the port to the Afghan border from sanctions under the Iran Freedom and Counter-Proliferation Act of 2012. However, banks had been reluctant to provide loans for buying heavy equipment due to US sanctions.

S-400 vs Rafale: Turkey to deploy Russian S-400 Missile to counter French Rafale Jets

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani had earlier raised the Chabahar-Zahedan rail link at a meeting with Indian external affairs minister S Jaishankar in Tehran and asked India to expedite work on it to “benefit regional trade relations”. During that visit, India and Iran had agreed to boost Chabahar’s economic viability, including steps such as providing higher subsidies to merchant shipping using the port.

Continue Reading

Americas

US-China ties to worsen as Trump set to block all Chinese claims in South China Sea

Ties between US and China could dramatically worsen over the South China Sea after Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Washington now regards virtually all Chinese maritime claims outside its internationally recognised waters to be illegitimate. 

Published

on

Ties between the US and China are set to further deteriorate over the South China Sea as the Trump administration is set to outrightly reject almost all of Chinese maritime claims in the contentious waterbody.

US exasperated over Iran-China $400 billion pact

The Trump government presented the decision as an endeavour to restrain China’s increasing belligerence in the region with a commitment to recognising international law. This move in the South China Sea will further enrage the Chinese, who are already countering against various US sanctions and other penalties.

Previously, US policy had been to insist that maritime spats between China and its smaller neighbours be settled peacefully through UN-backed arbitration.

But in a statement released on Monday, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Washington now regards virtually all Chinese maritime claims outside its internationally recognised waters to be illegitimate.

“The world will not allow Beijing to treat the South China Sea as its maritime empire,” Pompeo said. “America stands with our Southeast Asian allies and partners in protecting their sovereign rights to offshore resources, consistent with their rights and obligations under international law. We stand with the international community in defence of freedom of the seas and respect for sovereignty and reject any push to impose ‘might makes right’ in the South China Sea or the wider region.”

Image

Although the US will continue to remain impartial in territorial conflicts, the announcement means Washington is now directly supporting Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, all of which oppose Chinese declarations of sovereignty over maritime areas surrounding disputed islands, reefs and shoals.

“There are clear cases where [China] is claiming sovereignty over areas that no country can lawfully claim,” the State Department said in a fact sheet that accompanied the statement.

The announcement was released a day after the fourth anniversary of a binding decision by an arbitration panel in favour of the Philippines that discarded Chinese maritime claims around the Spratly Islands and neighbouring reefs and shoals.

China has declined to recognise that ruling, rejected it as a “sham” and withdrew from the arbitration proceedings. It has continued to oppose the decision with aggressive actions that have brought it into territorial disputes with Vietnam, the Philippines and Malaysia in recent years.

However, as a result, the administration said China has no valid maritime claims to the fish- and potentially energy-rich Scarborough Reef, Mischief Reef or Second Thomas Shoal. The US has repeatedly said areas regarded to be part of the Philippines are covered by a US-Philippines mutual defence treaty in the event of an attack on them.

In addition to reemphasising support for that decision, Pompeo said China cannot legitimately claim the James Shoal near Malaysia, waters surrounding the Vanguard Bank off Vietnam, the Luconia Shoals near Brunei and Natuna Besar off Indonesia. As such, Washington said it would regard any Chinese intimidation of fishing vessels or oil exploration in those areas as unlawful.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

FEATURED

nasa-comet-india nasa-comet-india
Americas2 hours ago

Comet Neowise in India: Rare Neowise Comet will be visible in North-West India from Today – NASA

NASA Comet Neowise India: NASA’s Neowise infrared space telescope discovered the comet on 27 March. Scientists involved in the mission...

India-Iran-Ties India-Iran-Ties
Featured3 hours ago

Iran-India Chabahar Port Deal: Iran Kicks-Out India from Chabahar Rail Project citing funding delays

Iran-India Chabahar Port Deal: The railway project was meant to be part of India’s vow to the trilateral deal between...

Mike-Pompeo Mike-Pompeo
Americas3 hours ago

US-China ties to worsen as Trump set to block all Chinese claims in South China Sea

Ties between US and China could dramatically worsen over the South China Sea after Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said...

Amarnath-Yatra Amarnath-Yatra
Featured16 hours ago

Indian top court declines to restrict ‘Amarnath Yatra’ Hindu pilgrimage in Kashmir

Amid the surge in COVID-19 cases, the Indian Supreme court has declined to restrict Amarnath Yatra – the Hindu pilgrimage...

Hasan-Rouhani- Iran Hasan-Rouhani- Iran
Americas18 hours ago

US exasperated over Iran-China $400 billion pact

China's 400 dollar deal is a breather for Iran's economy which is hard hit by Trump "maximum pressure" campaign against...

google-ceo-Pichai google-ceo-Pichai
Featured19 hours ago

Google CEO Sundar Pichai announces $10 B investment in India

CEO of Google - Sundar Pichai was speaking at the sixth edition of Google for India conducted in collaboration with...

Bubonic Plague Bubonic Plague
Featured19 hours ago

COVID-19 : 50,000 South Africans could die of Coronavirus in 2020

South Africa’s president has advised the public to follow COVID-19 measures seriously as scientists predict the virus could kill up...

TURKEY TURKEY
Featured20 hours ago

Turkey stands with Azerbaijan “with all it has” against clash with Armenia

Turkish foreign minister on Monday strongly denounced the deadly attack by Armenian armed forces on Azerbaijani troops. How Pakistan-Backed Azerbaijan...

S400vsRAFALE S400vsRAFALE
Featured20 hours ago

S-400 vs Rafale: Turkey to deploy Russian S-400 Missile to counter French Rafale Jets

India would be keeping a close eye as French-built Rafale jets could take on Russian-designed S-400 air defence systems in...

Arab-League Arab-League
Featured21 hours ago

Arab World hails Turkish decision to reconvert Hagia Sophia into a Mosque

The Turkish decision to reconvert Istanbul’s iconic Hagia Sophia into a mosque after serving decades as a museum has won...

Advertisement

Trending