Friday, April 23, 2021

Trump’s Travel Ban Finally Approved by the Supreme Court

Trump’s Travel Ban has been finally approved by the Supreme Court. The U.S. Supreme Court has finally allowed the Trump administration to fully enforce Trump’s travel ban on people from eight nations from coming to the US. The third iteration of the travel ban — after the first two were blocked by the judiciary — has been in force partially.

The SC order has not explained the reasons for its decision but nudged the lower courts that are hearing the arguments on the merit of the case to move faster. President Donald Trump’s decision has been challenged on questions such as his legal authority to issue such an order and whether it constitutes a religious test and a Muslim ban, as promised by Mr. Trump during the 2016 presidential campaign.

Trump Travel Ban vs. Judiciary

Six of the total eight countries barred by Trump’s order are Muslim majority — Syria, Libya, Iran, Yemen, Chad, and Somalia. North Korea and Venezuela are the other two. The decision of the SC was supported by seven of the nine judges which increase the chances of the administration winning the case on merit as and when it reaches the highest court.

Restrictions on travel by people from these eight countries vary in their details. Federal judges in Maryland and Hawaii had partially blocked the restrictions, allowing people from these countries who can establish a bona fide relationship with a person or entity in the U.S. to travel. The courts included grandparents, grandchildren, brothers and sisters-in-law, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, and cousins of people already in the U.S. in this category and students who have secured admissions. Such people will also be barred, with the latest SC order.

Verdict hailed

The Trump administration and his campaign have hailed the court order as a victory for the President’s position. The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), which is challenging the travel ban in court, said in a statement that it will be arguing for the complete striking down of the order, in the Fourth Circuit appeals court on Friday.

“President Trump’s anti-Muslim prejudice is no secret. He has repeatedly confirmed it, including just last week on Twitter,” he said, referring to the President retweeting a series of anti-Muslim videos posted by a British nationalist.

The Trump administration has argued that “extensive worldwide review process” preceded the travel ban and the third order is different from the previous versions. It also pointed out that non-Muslim countries are on the list and allegations of a religious test were unfounded.

The SC order amounted to “handing our sovereignty back to the United States of America”, said an email from a campaign authorized by the President, to supporters. “This massive victory for American security comes just after President Trump boldly withdrew our country from the UN’s dangerous, irresponsible Global Compact on Migration,” it said.

More News

Featured News

Unreliable Ally: Should US Withdrawal From Afghanistan Be A ‘Wake-Up Call’ For All Major Non- NATO Allies (MNNA)?

US President Joe Biden’s announcement that all American troops will withdraw from Afghanistan by the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 terror attacks, thus ending...

Afghan Peace Conference In Istanbul, Turkey Postponed Over ‘No Show’ By Taliban

Turkey has announced that it is postponing a much-anticipated Afghan peace conference in Istanbul until the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. "We...

After India, US Offers Help To Locate Indonesian Submarine Missing Near China-Claimed Waters

An Indonesian Navy submarine with 53 crew members on board went missing during a military exercise in the Bali Sea early Wednesday. Indonesia said...

Indian LCA Tejas Or Pakistani JF-17: Who Is Winning The Malaysian Fighter Jet Contract?

India’s multi-role Tejas fighter has captured the imagination of the Malaysian air force for quite some time now. The 4.5 generation Light Combat Aircraft...

World’s Busiest Airport – China’s Guangzhou Airport Topples Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson In New Rankings

The US is no longer host to the World's Busiest Airport. Having hosted 43.8 million passengers amid Covid-19, Guangzhou Bai Yun International Airport in...