Turkish President Erdogan has offered Russia to jointly produce the advance S-500 Missile Defence Systems. As EurAsian Times reported earlier, the S-500 Anti-Missile & Air Defence Systems could hit targets at a distance between 480 to 600 kilometers and are comparable to the American THAAD Missiles.
Other News at EurAsian Times
- Japan to Partner India to Counter Rising China Military Power
- Why is Japan Unhappy with Bullet Train Project in India?
- High Risk for Companies Investing in One Belt One Road Projects (OBOR)?
- From Asia to Africa, India-Japan Defence Partnership Aggressively Countering China
- CPEC Loan to Pakistan Soars to Whopping $62B: ADB
Turkey’s official news agency quoted President Erdogan as saying that Moscow had offered Ankara a loan to purchase the S-400 anti-aircraft missile systems on a “very nominal rates.” “During the second and third phase, we will proceed to the joint production of the S-500 systems,” Erdogan added.
Reports suggest that the S-500 will have a range of 600 kilometers for the anti-ballistic missile variant and 400 kilometers for the air defense version. The system is also said to be capable of hitting up to 10 ballistic targets at a time, which implies that the system will be best suited to counter ballistic missiles with a launch range of 3500 kms. The S-500 is expected to offer considerable upgrades over the S-400, Russia’s current flagship air defence system.
S-500 vs S-400 Anti-Missile System
The S-500, as EurAsian Times reported earlier, will not a continuation of the S-300 and the S-400 series, but a completely new complex, created from scratch with completely new radar, a new computer system and new missiles. The primary operating mode in the S-500 will be automatic and the complex will require minimal intervention from the operator.
Assessing by reports leaking from the Internet, the S-500 Missile will be able to hit both ballistic targets, including intercontinental missiles, as well as aerodynamic targets like fighter jets and cruise missiles. The S-500 Complex will also be equipped with an anti-ballistic missile to destroy ballistic targets, and will be capable of hitting targets at altitudes over 100 kilometers, but how much higher is still now known.
Other Stories at EurAsian Times
- Al-Jazeera Criticises NYT Editorial on Kashmir Dispute
- Pakistan BAT Commandos Bleeding Indian BSF
- S-500 Anti Missile System Decades Ahead of American THAAD
- China, India, Turkey & Saudi Arabia: Why Everyone Seeks the Russian S-400 Air Defence System?