The verdict has finally come out in the Nawaz Sharif case involving corruption charges. The former Prime Minister of Pakistan, Nawaz Sharif has been sentenced to 10 years of jail on the charges of corruption. After a spree of delays in the verdict, the National Accountability Bureau court has awarded jail terms to Nawaz Sharif, his daughter Maryam Nawaz Sharif and son in law Safdar Awan.
- Parvez Musharaf Was Behind the Assassination of Benazir Bhutto: Pakistan Taliban
- Pakistan Media Slams Indian Foreign Policy Under Narendra Modi
Concurrent Sentences for Nawaz Sharif
Even Maryam Nawaz has been awarded concurrent sentences. She will be jailed for 7 years for the crime and 1 year of not cooperating while son in law of Nawaz Sharif has been sentenced for not extending cooperation. This comes as a big jolt for the PML (Pakistan Muslim League) right ahead of the July 25 elections. The case is known as the Avenfield Reference.
How the Panama Papers led to this verdict
More News at EurAsian Times
- Indian Military Base in Sabang can Strangle China at the Strait of Malacca
- Why is Japan Unhappy with Bullet Train Project in India?
- Is Saudi-UAE Alliance Working to Weaken the Gulf Cooperation Council?
- From Asia to Africa, India-Japan Defence Partnership Aggressively Countering China
- Oman-UAE Relations Deteriorate; Muscat Warns Against Testing Patience