Tuesday, October 19, 2021

All Jaish-e-Mohammad Buildings ‘100% Intact’ Despite Indian Bombings – Satellite Images

India claims to have attacked all Jaish-e-Mohammad hideouts in Balakot air strikes which pitted India and Pakistan in a bitter battle. However, newly-released satellite images show all buildings belonging to Jaish-e-Mohammad in Balakot are absolutely intact, which questions the Indian surgical strikes 2.0.

A cropped version of a satellite image purportedly shows a close-up of a facility near Balakot, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province, Pakistan. (Via Reuters)

The high-resolution images, produced by the US-based private satellite operator Planet Labs Inc, apparently show at least six buildings at the site of a religious school run by the militant group Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) in northeastern Pakistan, Reuters reported on Wednesday.

The images show the buildings virtually unchanged from April 2018, according to the report. On February 26, India said it had conducted “preemptive” airstrikes against the site, destroying it and killing 300 militants.

How Mike Pompeo Played a Vital Part in De-Escalating India-Pakistan Tensions?

According to Indian government sources, the jets dropped 1,000-kilogram bombs. Pakistan said at the time that it had scrambled its own fighter jets when the Indian warplanes violated its airspace and chased them out. It said the Indian jets had dropped their payload in a forested area in haste, leaving no serious damage and casualties.

“There is not even a single brick in the debris,” Pakistani military spokesperson Major General Asif Ghafoor said the day after the attack. “If there was any infrastructure there, then there would be some debris.”

Senior researchers at the James Martin Center for nonproliferation studies who analyzed the satellite images said weapons that large would have caused obvious damage to the structures visible in the picture.

“If the strike had been successful, given the information we have about what kind of munitions were used, I would expect to see signs that the buildings had been damaged,” said senior research associate Jeffrey Lewis. “I just don’t see that here.”

New Delhi has so far failed to produce evidence that the camp was destroyed and that militants were killed. This has prompted opposition politicians to call on the government of Prime Minister Narendra Modi to provide more details.

Hafiz Saeed led Jamaat ud Dawah Officially Banned in Pakistan

“We want to know how many people actually died,” said Mamata Banerjee, the chief minister of West Bengal State. “Where did the bombs fall? Did they actually fall in the right place?”

Modi, however, accused the opposition of helping India’s “enemies” by demanding evidence of the attacks. “At a time when our army is engaged in crushing terrorism, inside the country and outside, there are some people within the country who are trying to break their morale, which is cheering our enemy,” Modi said at a re-election campaign rally on Sunday.

India has long been engaged in a conflict with Pakistan over the disputed region of Jammu and Kashmir. The two have fought four wars since their partition in 1947, three of them over Kashmir.

JeM had claimed responsibility for an attack on an Indian security convoy in Pulwama, in Indian-administered Kashmir, that killed more than 40 Indian troops on February 14. That attack set off tensions between Pakistan and India, which said Islamabad had been involved. The Pakistani government denied that claim.

More News at EurAsian Times

Featured News