Connect with us

Europe

Barcelona Terrorist Attacks: Casualties From 18 Countries

Published

on

Barcelona Terrorist Attacks was a cowardly act carried out by ISIS terrorists. A total of at least 13 people were killed and more than 100 wounded in a terrorist attack in Barcelona on the August 17th. These victims were from 18 countries, according to data released by the Spanish Citizens Protection Agency (SCPA). Casualties include nationals from Spain, Argentina, China, Cuba, Australia, Belgium, France, Netherlands, Germany, Hungary, Peru, Romania, Ireland, Italy, Venezuela, Macedonia and Costa Rica, and Greece.

Who was Behind the Barcelona Terrorist Attacks?

The driver of the van that drove the people in Barcelona was liquidated during the operation in Cambrils on the night from Thursday to Friday. This was reported by the TV channel 24 Oras. According to him, among the murdered terrorists is also Musa Ukabir, who was previously called the key suspect in this case.

In turn, the Catalan police after the appearance in the media of this information clarified: “We continue to work to identify the driver of the van, which yesterday launched an attack in Barcelona” On August 17th, in the tourist street of Rambla in Barcelona, the driver of the van made a deliberate attack on the passersby. Four people were detained as part of the investigation into the terrorist attack. Responsibility for the attack was assumed by the terrorist group “Islamic State” or ISIS.

Subsequently, the Catalonia police annihilated four terrorists in Cambrils in the south of the autonomy and wounded another one, and he later died. The terrorists tried to carry out a terrorist attack similar to the one that was committed in Barcelona.

Barcelona Terrorist Attacks: World Condemns

King Philip VI of Spain is confident in the solidarity of the whole country with the inhabitants of Barcelona. “These murderers and criminals will not be able to intimidate us, the whole of Spain is now with Barcelona.” Rambla will be reopened for all, “the report said.

Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rahoy said that the whole country is now mentally with the victims during the terrorist attack. “Terrorists will never defeat a single people who love freedom, not barbarism.” All of Spain is now with the victims and their families, “the prime minister wrote. Rahoy said that now he is going to Barcelona.

European Council President Donald Tusk said that the EU is ready to give full support to Spain in the fight against terrorism. “Europe stands shoulder to shoulder with Barcelona, our thoughts today with the victims of the attack and all those affected, we will give full support to Spain,” said the head of the European Council.

 

The terrorist attack in Barcelona against innocent people deserves a sharp condemnation, the OSCE must get rid of disagreements and give a single rebuff to terrorism. This was stated on Thursday by OSCE Chairman-in-Office, Austrian Foreign Minister Sebastian Kurtz and Secretary General of the Organization Thomas Greminger.

“The terrorist attack on the busy and popular street in Barcelona is an attack on all of us and our way of life.” The targeted attack on civilians proves once again that the perpetrators completely disregard human life, “Kurtz said in a statement that the press service.

NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg expressed his support to the families and friends of the victims. “I condemn the horrific attack in Barcelona My thoughts are with all those who suffered there we -. Together with Spain in the fight against terrorism,” – NATO Secretary General said.

On Barcelona Terrorist Attacks, US President Donald Trump said that the United States condemns the terrorist attack in Barcelona and is ready to provide all necessary assistance. “The United States condemns the terrorist attack in Barcelona, Spain, and will do whatever it takes to help, be tough and strong, we love you,” Trump wrote. In his next entry, he proposed “to study what the United States General Pershing did with the terrorists caught.”

France & UK Expresses solidarity on Barcelona Terrorist Attacks

President of France Emmanuelle Macron expressed his condolences to Spain in connection with the terrorist attack in Barcelona. “I express my solidarity and condolences on behalf of France in connection with the victims of the tragic terrorist act in Barcelona, we remain united and reaffirm our determination to fight the fight against terrorism,” wrote Macron in his Twitter page.

Britain is on the side of Spain in the fight against terrorism. This was announced on Thursday by Theresa May, speaking with words of support to the victims of the terrorist attack in Barcelona. “My thoughts are with the victims of today’s terrible attack in Barcelona and the emergency services that responded to this incident.” The UK stands along with Spain against terror, “the British prime minister said.

Advertisement

Americas

China Vows To Halt The UK In Granting Residency to Hong Kongers

Published

on

The Chinese government has vowed to halt the United Kingdom (UK) from granting residency to Hong Kongers. China says that it will take corresponding measures to stop any move by the UK allowing Hong Kong residents to emigrate to the UK. 

The latest announcement by China comes after British Prime Boris Johnson promised to honour a promise to offer nearly 3 million residents of the former British colony, those with British National (Overseas) status (BNO), the right to settle in the UK.

Liu Xiaoming, China’s ambassador to the UK, said that such a move would be a violation of agreements between the two countries and labelled Britain’s criticism of the security law in Hong Kong as irresponsible and unwarranted. Liu even took to twitter to dismiss the UK’s planned move to offer residency to Hong Kongers.

Xiaoming also said that that all Chinese compatriots residing in Hong Kong are Chinese nationals, whether or not they are holders of the British Dependent Territories Citizens passport or the British National (Overseas) passport.

“If the British side makes unilateral changes to the relevant practice, it will breach its own position and pledges as well as international law,’’ he said. In a statement posted on the embassy website, Xiaoming clarified that the UK has no sovereignty, jurisdiction or right of supervision over Hong Kong.

Dominic Raab, First Secretary of State and Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, on Wednesday, said that although Britain is trying to help Hong Kongers, there was little Britain could do to “coercively force” Beijing if it tried to block take-up of the government’s visa pledge.

Speaking to ITV, Raab said that the UK was working with other countries to offer residents leaving Hong Kong an option to settle in other countries in the region. As of February, there were nearly 350,000 BNO passport holders, while the government estimated there are around 2.9 million BNOs living in Hong Kong.

Australia is one such country that is planning to offer safe haven visas to Hong Kong residents The Department of Foreign Affairs and the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet have been working on measures to respond to China’s increasing control of Hong Kong since the new laws were proposed at the National People’s Congress in May.

The UK believes that the new security legislation passed by Beijing breaches the Sino-British joint declaration inked in 1984. As reported by EurAsian Times earlier, China had announced that it has no legal obligation to uphold the Sino-British declaration.

Fears are rife in Hong Kong as the new security law drafted by Beijing came into effect. The new law includes the following as offences– Secession, Subversion, Terrorist Activities, and Collusion with a Foreign Country or with External Elements to Endanger National Security. All four offences can invite life imprisonment as the maximum punishment, followed by lesser penalties.

According to CNN, at least 370 people were arrested on Wednesday, including 10 on suspicion of violating the national security law.

China believes that the national security law is another step forward towards decolonization and for maintaining security and integrity of Hong Kong. Pro-democracy Hong Kongers, the United States and the UK believe it is an attack on the autonomy of Hong Kong and will reduce the freedom and liberty enjoyed by the region.

Armaan Srivastava

Continue Reading

Americas

UK Fears Losing Their Indian Ocean Military Base In Mauritius To China?

Published

on

Why is the UK apprehensive about its strategic military base in Mauritius in the Indian Ocean? British MP Daniel Kawczynski has expressed concern over Mauritian moves to reclaim its island and claim sovereignty over Chagos islands, a UK military base. 

Chinese Military Base In The Pacific Near Australia Could Be A Nightmare For The US & Allies

This is the most eastern British military base in the world, and with escalating tensions between India and China, it is imperative that the UK maintain this military base, said Kawczynski. Half of the island is leased out to the US, so this is a massive Anglo-American military base which facilitates NATO to have a forward position with regard to naval drills across the whole of the Middle East, and the Indian sub-continent, he explained.

Last year, the United Nation’s highest court ruled that the British occupation of the remote islands of the Indian Ocean is illegal. While such is ruling is only an advisory but the judgement was a humiliating blow to the UK on the global stage.

Mauritius is a commonwealth nation that gained independence in 1968. When we granted Mauritius independence, they signed a pact acknowledging that these islands would not be part of this independence package, and it would continue to be a British island, stated Kawczynski. He further added that Mauritius is now trying to reverse a legally binding global pact.

With the Brexit underway, EU nations have turned their back on Britain including Germany, France, Spain, the Netherlands, Italy and Belgium, who abstained from voting on a United Nations resolution put forward by Mauritius, asking for an advisory opinion from the International Courts of Justice on the Chagos Islands.

The South China Sea facilitates over one-third of the world’s trade and thus holds strategic importance. With rising Chinese aggression in the South China Sea and the territorial expansionism on the India-China border, western nations are coming together to counter such forces.

Kawczynski wrote in an article that, under the ‘String of Pearls’ strategy, China is actively acquiring commercial and military facilities throughout the Indian Ocean, including a full People’s Liberation Army base in Djibouti.

It has also been increasingly belligerent in its efforts to take control of the South China Sea, through which passes a third of the world’s trade, and has very recently been accused of mounting cyberattacks on Australia, “our Five Eyes partner”.

“In a post-Brexit world we are going to need to have an even closer relationship with the US and Australia and this military base is hugely important for both the Australians and the Americans because it is a gateway to making sure that we challenge Chinese expansionism in the area,” said Kawczynski.

“We are paying a fortune with the Americans just to send ships through to send a signal to China that we will continue to ensure that international traffic can continue to pass through the South China Sea,” he added.

He claims that if Mauritius manages to grab these islands off us they will lease these islands to the Chinese. Kawczynski stated that he was in the process of forming a new voting caucus within Parliament to ensure any effort to hand the islands over would be challenged.

China already has a military base in Djibouti and they have devoured all these small atolls from Vietnam and the Philippines in the South China Sea, and are pouring concrete onto them and turning them into giant aircraft carriers.

Continue Reading

Americas

NATO Targets China; Says ‘China Is On Our Radar More Than Ever Before’

Published

on

US Permanent Representative to the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), told reporters at a virtual meeting that “China could be a peaceful partner, a good trade partner, but they’re not showing that right now, and I think NATO partners are looking at this, and NATO is beginning to assess what China is doing as well.”

Responding to China’s growing aggression with its neighbours like Japan and India and other territories like Taiwan, Kay Bailey Hutchison insisted that “It’s much more on our radar screen, and I think it should be because we should assess the risk, hope for the best but prepare for the worst,”

Hutchison remarked that “So we know that China has the capability to compete on a level playing field, and we’re asking them to do that, but we’re also turning a wary eye to their behaviour right now in the South China Sea, militarizing islands that they said would never be done, as well as the clampdown on Hong Kong.”

When the representative was asked if an actual military confrontation was on the horizon, she replied, “I think NATO is now looking to the East.”

NATOs 5G battle with China

The 5G network battle between the US and China that has been making headlines since more than a year is being dealt within the US and Europe throughout the alliance, Hutchison reminded. The US stands firm that China had stolen intellectual property, violated tariff and subsidies set down by the world courts and the World Trade Organization.

“We’re trying to keep our communications secure and seeing that some of the Chinese competitors do not have the capability to control the contractual obligations that are made by communications providers – all of those things, including the Belt and Road Initiative, are raising concerns, concerns among our allies, about what is the intent of China,” said the representative.

NATOs Tale with China

About a week ago, NATO’s Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg, a Norwegian politician had warned about China’s increasing influence in geopolitics that has led to a “fundamental shift in the global balance of power”.

“One thing is clear: China is coming ever closer to Europe’s doorstep,” he told German media and continued that “NATO allies must face this challenge together.” Stoltenberg had also mentioned that China’s growing presence in the seas neighbouring the country as “worrying” and called China to respect international shipping rules.

Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying had replied to the comments by the NATO secretary-general and said that Beijing does not pose a threat to any country. “We hope that NATO can continue to hold a correct opinion about us and view our development rationally,” China responded earlier this week.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Facebook

FEATURED

Tayyip-Erdogan Tayyip-Erdogan
Featured7 hours ago

Hagia Sophia: Turkey turns iconic Istanbul museum of Hagia Sophia into mosque

The court ruled that Hagia Sophia was owned by a foundation established by Sultan Mehmet II, also known as Mehmet...

Apache-Helicopter Apache-Helicopter
Featured13 hours ago

Indian Air Force Receives Complete Delivery Apache, Chinook Helicopters

Boeing India also tweeted: Thank you, @IAF_MCC, for your partnership. We’re happy to have completed the deliveries of the 22...

BEST-CANCER-HOSPITAL-IN-DELHI-NCR BEST-CANCER-HOSPITAL-IN-DELHI-NCR
Featured18 hours ago

COVID-19 Exposes India, Philippines To Higher Risk Of Cancer; Australia, Malaysia Safest – Index

According to an index prepared by the Economist Intelligence Unit, Australia, Malaysia and South Korea are most prepared to meet...

US-China-Trade-War US-China-Trade-War
Americas22 hours ago

China Fighting India With ‘Sticks & Stones’ Cheaper, But Confronting The US Can Bankrupt China: Experts

The news of relentless India-China border tensions and all other dispute that China has with its neighbours like Taiwan, Japan,...

Indian-TV-Anchors Indian-TV-Anchors
Featured1 day ago

Nepal Bans All Indian News Channels Except National TV – Doordarshan

The move to ban Indian news channels came hours after former Deputy Prime Minister and spokesperson of the ruling Nepal...

kulbhushan-jadhav kulbhushan-jadhav
Featured1 day ago

Kulbhushan Jadhav Will Not Be Hanged; Could Be Swapped With India: BBC Report

Kulbhushan Jadhav was ‘’arrested’’ in 2016 from Balochistan on charges of terrorism and spying for India’s intelligence agency. India maintains...

Worlds-Strongest-Army Worlds-Strongest-Army
Americas2 days ago

Turkey Shocked Over US Decision To Conduct Military Drills With Cyprus

The Press Release Read - The United States is pleased to announce our intention to provide International Military Education and...

eurasian-times eurasian-times
Featured2 days ago

Vikas Dubey Arrested: Uttar Pradesh Gangster Vikas Dubey Accused Of Killing 8 Cops Arrested In Ujjain

Vikas Dubey Arrested: Dubey was caught in Ujjain around the same time two of his aides were killed in separate...

CHINA-TAIWAN CHINA-TAIWAN
Americas2 days ago

Taiwan Now Under ‘Deep Control’ Of The US; China Vows To Get It Back

China and Taiwan have been in a position of stalemate. The troops from both sides have been demonstrating their muscle...

Iran-Israel-War Iran-Israel-War
Americas3 days ago

Attack On Iran’s Natanz Nuclear Facility Not A Cyber Attack, But A Bomb Blast – Reports

The recent explosion at Natanz nuclear facility in Iran has set back its nuclear program by more than a year....

Advertisement

Trending