US President Donald Trump’s statement that Washington should recognize Israel’s sovereignty over the Golan Heights may destabilize the Middle East. This was stated by Russian presidential spokesman Dmitry Peskov.
“Such calls may considerably destabilize the already strained situation in the Middle East,” he said. “In any case, the idea as such by no means works for the tasks and goals of the Middle East settlement. It’s the other way round.”
After 52 years it is time for the United States to fully recognize Israel’s Sovereignty over the Golan Heights, which is of critical strategic and security importance to the State of Israel and Regional Stability!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 21, 2019
“At the moment it’s just a call. May it remain so,” Peskov added.
Earlier, President Trump tweeted that the US should recognize Israel’s full sovereignty over the Golan Heights. This plateau, which belonged to Syria since 1944 was seized by Israel during the six-day war in 1967.
In 1981, the Israeli parliament passed a law to unilaterally declare sovereignty over the Golan Heights. The UN Security Council declared the annexation null and void in its Resolution 497 of December 17, 1981.
More News at EurAsian Times
- Indian Military Base in Sabang can Strangle China at the Strait of Malacca
- Why is Japan Unhappy with Bullet Train Project in India?
- Is Saudi-UAE Alliance Working to Weaken the Gulf Cooperation Council?
- India-Japan Defence Partnership Aggressively Countering China
- Oman-UAE Relations Deteriorate; Muscat Warns Against Testing Patience