India has approved to procure the advanced S-400 missile systems from Russia. India-Russia defence deal of the S-400 air defence systems will take place despite the vehement opposition of it by the US. India will procure five S-400 batteries from Russia for Rs 39,000 crore after the defence ministry cleared the proposal.
- Russia Accuses US of Using Chemical Weapons in the Syrian Civil War
- China Arms Pakistan with Superior Missile Tracking System To Overpower India
After getting approval from the defence ministry the India-Russia defence deal will now go to the finance ministry and then finally for the cabinet committee on security to get the final set of approvals. The Defence Acquisitions Council helmed by the defence minister has approved minor deviations in the S-400 deal with Russia. These deviations were proposed in the recently held commercial negotiations with Russia. India and Russia have defence projects of USD 12 billion in the pipeline.
How would the S-400 missile systems benefit India?
The S-400 missile systems will add a great new dimension to Indian defence. These systems are highly mobile and automated. It consists of different hypersonic and supersonic missiles along with long-range radars. These missile systems can be used by India to protect cities or important facilities during situations of war. The induction of the S-400 missile systems into the Indian Air Force will strengthen India’s defence mechanisms significantly. The S-400 missile systems can track and eliminate drones. spy planes, stealth fighters up to a range of 400 km and vertical distance of 30 km.
Would the US turn hostile towards India?
The United States warned India against the India-Russia defence deal over S-400 missile defence systems. The US had reportedly also offered India to buy its Terminal High Altitude Area Defence (THAAD) missile defence systems as an alternative to the S-400 missile systems. Now with the S-400 deal moving towards the final stage, will the US turn hostile towards India?
More News at EurAsian Times
- Indian Military Base in Sabang can Strangle China at the Strait of Malacca
- Why is Japan Unhappy with Bullet Train Project in India?
- Is Saudi-UAE Alliance Working to Weaken the Gulf Cooperation Council?
- From Asia to Africa, India-Japan Defence Partnership Aggressively Countering China
- Oman-UAE Relations Deteriorate; Muscat Warns Against Testing Patience