After an Indian minister threatened of deploying the army and ordering shoot and sight, police in the Philippines have shot a person dead for not wearing a mask and brawling with officers.
Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte had earlier urged the security establishment to kill anyone causing trouble during the coronavirus pandemic. This is the first such case in the world where the police had shot-dead a civilian for breaching coronavirus restrictions.
The 63-year-old man was believed to have been drunk when he threatened village authorities with a scythe – a sharp blade. “The person was warned by a village health worker for not wearing a face mask,” the police report said. “But the suspect got furious, yelling and ultimately attacked the personnel using a scythe,” the report added.
The government ordered on Thursday all people across the country to wear face masks when going outside during its month-long lockdown. “Let me repeat – if you need to go out of your house, you need to wear a mask,” government official Karlo Nograles said, according to the German Press Agency.
Nograles added it doesn’t have to be a medical mask, but any improvised cover which covers the mouth and nose.
Earlier, President Rodrigo Duterte said that he would order police and military to shoot dead lockdown violators. “My orders to the police and military, if there is trouble and there’s an occasion that they fight back and your lives are in danger, shoot them dead, instead of causing trouble, I will bury you.”
This article first appeared on DW