Quetta Mosque Blast: A massive bomb blast occurred at a mosque in Quetta killing at least 15 people, including a senior police official and the prayer leader, according to reports.
The police personnel has been identified as DSP Haji Aman Ullah while the law enforcement agencies have cordoned off the area as investigators search for forensic evidence.
The injured and the deceased were shifted to Quetta’s Civil Hospital while an emergency was enforced in all hospitals of the city. AFP quoted Balochistan police chief Mohsin Hassan Butt as saying that the death toll may rise as some of the wounded are in a critical condition.
It is immediately not clear what caused the blast which took place at a seminary in Quetta’s Satellite Town. The ISPR in a Tweet said that the troops of Frontier Corps (FC) Balochistan have reached the site of incident and carrying out joint search operation with the police. It also said that the area has been cordoned off and injured had been shifted to the hospital.
“Every possible assistance be given to police & civil administration. Those who targeted innocents in a mosque can never be true Muslim,” ISPR quoted army chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa as saying.
FC Bln troops reached Qta blast site. Area cordoned off. Joint search operation with police in progress.Injured being evacuated to hosp.
“Every possible assistance be given to police & civil administration. Those who targeted innocents in a mosque can never be true Muslim”, COAS.
— DG ISPR (@OfficialDGISPR) January 10, 2020
Police chief of Balochistan Mohsin Hassan Butt told AFP the blast took place in a satellite town near Quetta, the province’s main city. The emergency has been declared at all hospitals of Quetta while the authorities have directed the doctors and paramedical staff to be present at their respective duty places.
Balochistan Chief Minister Jam Kamal Khan and Home Minister Ziaullah Langove have condemned the blast and expressed sorrow over the loss of precious lives.
CM Khan said – those who targeted worshippers have no religion or tribal affiliation. “They are only terrorists and deserve the harshest punishment,” he said, adding that state enemies are once again trying to create a law and order situation in Balochistan. The CM said, however, that they would not let anyone destroy the hard-earned peace that had been achieved through the sacrifices of the armed forces and citizens.
The mosque blast occurred three days after two men were killed and over a dozen injured – including two soldiers of the Frontier Corps in an IED blast near a vehicle of the security forces on McCaughey Road in the provincial capital of Balochistan.