Why has Air India Renamed Taiwan to Chinese Taipei on its website? After China Threatens to Block Air India over “One China Policy”, Indian National Carrier has quickly relented and changed the name of Taiwan to Chinese Taipei on its website. China confirmed that it has approved Air India’s decision to refer to Taiwan as ‘Chinese Taipei’ which complies with Beijing’s demand.
- China Issues Security Advisory to Its Citizens Travelling to the US
- Air India Sale: Who will Buy Debt-Ridden, the Indian National Carrier – Air India?
- Djibouti Naval Base: The Epicenter of China’s International Navy Dream
Air India joined several other international airlines to comply with Beijing’s desire to no longer indicate to Taiwan as a separate region on their websites. Air India, after being threatened to be blocked to fly into China, relented immediately.
Several other international air carriers, including Singapore Airlines, Japan Airlines and Air Canada among others have amended their websites to not refer to Taiwan as a separate country, following an April 25 order by the Civil Aviation Authority of China.
Earlier, as EurAsian Times reported: In April this year, the Civil Aviation Authority of China urged all airlines across the globe to change the way how they present Taiwan. It asked the airlines to change the description of Taiwan on their websites and their marketing strategies within a time frame of 30 days.
Within the stipulated time many airlines agreed to cater to China’s request on Taiwan and made the changes while some sought extension till July 25 citing technical constraints. Airlines from the United States of America and Japan, however, refused to make the changes or made changes only on the Chinese websites of their airlines.
More News at EurAsian Times
- Indian Military Base in Sabang can Strangle China at the Strait of Malacca
- Why is Japan Unhappy with Bullet Train Project in India?
- Is Saudi-UAE Alliance Working to Weaken the Gulf Cooperation Council?
- From Asia to Africa, India-Japan Defence Partnership Aggressively Countering China
- Oman-UAE Relations Deteriorate; Muscat Warns Against Testing Patience