Mahathir Mohamad has his priorities sorted
Is Malaysian PM’s visit to China for Damage Control?
The Malaysian Prime Minister is expected to visit China in August. He is expected to be in China anytime between August 13 and August 21. He will look to ease out and build on the relations between Malaysia and China despite putting China’s projects in jeopardy. As per diplomatic sources, the exact dates and the duration of his Beijing visit is still undecided.
Experts dealing with Malaysia-China ties suggest that this visit is being initiated by Mahathir Mohamad for he realizes that China cannot be ignored. He has vehemently opposed the accusations against him for being anti-China. He has stated many times that his objection to Najib Razak’s sanctioned infrastructure projects with China must not be seen as an opposition to the Chinese government.
In the past few days, Malaysia has put 3 infrastructure projects backed by China on hold. These include the East Coast Rail Link which was to be constructed by Chinese Communication Construction Company and two pipeline projects which were to be constructed by China Petroleum Pipeline Bureau. Yet if Malaysia can maintain good ties with China, it will be an impressive win for Mahathir Mohammad.
More News at EurAsian Times
- Indian Military Base in Sabang can Strangle China at the Strait of Malacca
- Why is Japan Unhappy with Bullet Train Project in India?
- Is Saudi-UAE Alliance Working to Weaken the Gulf Cooperation Council?
- From Asia to Africa, India-Japan Defence Partnership Aggressively Countering China
- Oman-UAE Relations Deteriorate; Muscat Warns Against Testing Patience